Sunday, February 19, 2012

Places in Jane Shaw: Davaar Lighthouse

In Highland Holiday, Sara would look out of her bedroom window every night to wait for beam coming from the Davaar Lighthouse across the water on the east of Kintyre. The lighthouse was built in 1854 by David and Thomas Stevenson. In this picture, we can see Arran in the distance. When Sara visited, the lighthouse had a keeper, but in 1983 it was automated. In Highland Holiday, Sara never saw the beam that she had been used to in her childhood because it was deactivated as an economy during the War.